T +44 (0)20 8546 7691
E info@bentleypugh.com

Regulated by the Royal Institution
of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

nivo slider image nivo slider image nivo slider image nivo slider image nivo slider image nivo slider image

Commercial Party Wall Advice

Owners involved in property development need to be aware of the provisions of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996. Works close to or on the boundary between properties in different ownerships may well be notifiable under this legislation.

The Act is designed to enable property owners to carry out building work that could affect a neighbouring property whilst also giving adjoining owners the security they need in the event that damage is caused to their property.

The main notices are commonly referred to as:

Line of Junction Notice – building a free standing wall or the wall of a building up to or astride a boundary (line of junction) with a neighbouring property.
Party Structure Notice – working on an existing wall or structure shared with another property.
Adjacent Excavation – otherwise known as a 3 Metre or 6 Metre Notice – used when excavating near to a neighbouring structure.

We can advise Building Owners at the design stage right through to completion of the Party Wall Award.

If you are an Adjoining Owner and receive a Party Wall Notice you must respond correctly to avoid prejudicing your position so we would always recommend seeking professional advice promptly.